Friday 29 June 2012

Don't let the weather get you down, Gig30


I had found myself at gig 30 so quickly and this is one i was looking forward to very much.
I had visited Glyde house when i 1st set out on my comedy adventure with a view to starting a gig there and would have done so had it not been for another comedian having already got a gig booking there, so as i did not want to step on his toes or create a bad name for myself i opted to step down my interest and instead offered support/advice from my perspective to the gig manager David. Thankfully David who is a very enthusiastic and friendly guy to work with sought to run a night himself (saving him a few quid i would imagine) and so Bradford comedy club at Gylde house was born.
It is a lovely room that holds around 45, David and his business partner John had worked hard to make the room even better for comedy, they had put a comedy logo in, a stage curtain which was not functional but gave aesthetic appeal.
When i arrived i was greeted by David and although it was great to see him again there was bad news. The Headline act was coming from the North East and was stuck due to the horrific storm and floods so we were 1 headline down and also another act, a guy who i was looking forward to meeting again was also a victim to the poor weather.
So there would be myself and the fabulous Callum Scott along with 2 acts i have never seen before in Kahn Johnson (Kahn was the 1st guy to welcome me to the comedy forum but i had not met him in the flesh until tonight) and Jonathon Pelham.
Hosting was Eddie French who runs the Verve gig, Eddie was the man who took control and attempted to get a last min replacement for the missing headliner but upon not being able to do this difficult task he then organised for us all to do longer sets... i was allowed up to 15 mins but felt i didn’t have enough good stuff for 15 so opted for 12 which Eddie was helpful setting me at ease doing.

There were 22 in on my head count which was a nice cosy crowd, Eddie had highlighted a guy that was regular and likely to heckle thinking he was helping, one for us to look out for and hopefully ignore!
The regular did not disappoint as Eddie set about warming the room up with a confident laid back charm plucking gems of humour from his conversations with the audience. He spent around 15 mins i think warming the crowd and settling everyone in ready for the reduced line up to go on and do what they could to make the night a success.
Kahn Johnson was up 1st, his performance started with an introduction into who Kahn is and this included the revelation that Kahn is an MS sufferer. He used this to form some great opening material, i’d love to say more about Kahn’s set but my pre gig nerves kicked in and i twice had to go to the loo just to compose myself a little.
My turn came around and i went about my set with a feeling of acceptance, i accept my set is not what i want to be doing in a years time but i am over the whole its not good enough thing, i do still think its not good enough but i know it has enough punch lines that work clichéd or not and i know that while there is not a mass of originality in style it is an original set to at least accept if i can’t be proud of it. It has sort been my demon not liking my set but tonight the feeling of accepting it allowed my to perform it much better i felt than i had before, there were some dud moments in my 12 mins, mainly as i tried to factor the new stuff in and somewhat ironically forgot the memory loss bit!
The crowd were lovely though and i enjoyed myself feeling a real buzz again when i came off like my 1st few gigs.
After the break Callum went on and he had an odd situation where the audience didn’t participate in a bit that had worked seamlessly everywhere else, they seemed to not take to his go to stuff as much as expected (they did still laugh) but they lapped up his new stuff as did i laughing out loud at another comic for the 1st time in a while. He did 15 or so mins and it was typical of a Callum Scott performance for me, very enjoyable.
Jonathon Pelham followed as our final act, i have never seen him before and mistook him for Peter Brush at 1st. Jonathons set was brilliant, his mixture of self depreciation, sarcasm and intelligence created a set that lifted the laughter level a decibel... and that was after acts that had done well.
I really enjoyed all 3 of the other acts and Eddie’s final hurrah silencing the regular with a superb quick witted couple of put downs.
Huge thanks to David and John, long may comedy live at Glyde house, hopefully i’ll be back in a years time with more experience to make an even better night, any acts reading this apply for this gig now!! You’ll really enjoy it.
Next for me Kings Norton Birmingham this Saturday as my last practice before so you think you’re funny

No comments:

Post a Comment