Thursday 5 July 2012

So i dont think im funny, Gig 32


So do i think i’m funny ? well i wouldn’t do comedy if i didn’t think i could aspire to be funny, but am i funny now? Funny enough to do well in a national competition? Only one way to find out.
Monday the 2nd July was a date that now took great significance, i would like to play it down but i really wanted to do well and so i built the night up causing a meltdown in my brain on the night itself.
I was nervous... really nervous, and it showed. I had 5 energy drinks (3 red bulls 1 monster and 1cheapy version)
The time limit played on my mind too, i was hitting 9 mins on all my practices and became very conscious of this. The judges told us that we could finish early and it would be ok and that 8 mins will actually come out less once we get up there, and it did for me.
I was surprised how many acts there were (14) but was really pleased to see some familiar faces.
I don’t think its fair to comment on how i thought everyone did but i will say that it was a tough night, the audience were quiet and with it being a Monday they were not in the buoyant weekend mood (if that makes sense).
There were no totally flat performances but the quiet crowd made it seem that way and some acts struggled more than others. I was grateful to my girlfriend when she said “hey do you know who stormed it tonight” i thought she was going to say me in an attempt to make me feel good but she didn’t she said Ross Brierly!!! I totally agree by the way.
I would also say that 2 of my favourite acts on the circuit Mickey Sterret and Pat Draper also have a chance although they were on in the 1st half and struggled to get the audience to buy in (nothing to do with their performance)
James Beckett also stands a great chance, his stutter not holding him back and in fact forming part of his material.
My own personal performance was ropey by recent standards, i forgot about a minutes worth of jokes, i raced through nervously, timed my punchlines badly and failed to get my closing 3 mins right leaping ahead of myself.
I was gutted when i came off stage, i knew i had blown it, the big occasion idea i had built in my head, i knew i would as before the event people were chatting to me and i was tense and distant and could not relax.
It’s a shame but i learnt a lesson for future should i compete in anything else and that is to just treat the gig as any other as i have less chance of being my natural self when i build up the event as a be all end all.

Shorter blog than usual as i am wallowing!!!

Coventry Next

No comments:

Post a Comment