Wednesday 26 December 2012

Dying for comedy Gigs 92-93



I had had a full week off from comedy for the 1st time since starting out so there has not been a blog for a while, but I was back in action in the week prior to Christmas with gigs 92 and 93

Gig 93 Denbeigh NorthWales

I often hear people say I am one of the hardest working open spot acts there is, well one guy works much harder and that is Adam Rushton and it is he who had booked me for his gig in North Wales. This would be my 1st outside of England as I did not venture to Edinburgh in August. I thought long and hard about whether or not it was worth the long trip from Leeds on a Tuesday night in December, but I had agreed ... no actually asked to do the gig so I would not drop out it is hardly fair. I am glad I didn’t drop out, I have only missed 3 gigs this year that I had said I would do and all 3 due to circumstances out of my control, stage time is hard to come by and letting people down because its a long drive on a Tuesday night is not my thing. Another reason that I was glad I did not drop out was the gig itself... it was a lovely gig and well worth doing. Adam has built up a regular following at the gig and it is a nice intimate setting. Pete Phillipson would open with myself and Rachel Fairburn as middle opens and the wonderful Wes Zahurak headlining. I arrived after a nice traffic free drive although a Polish lorry driver did try and kill me by cutting into my lane forcing me onto the hard shoulder!! I nearly died in the name of comedy!. The room was empty other than Adam Pete and Rachel the latter 2 sat with their notes and Adam stood to greet me and Wes who arrived at the same time as I did. I had a nice catch up with Adam and he shuffled off to buy the acts a drink as I said my hello’s to the other guys before going to get changed. It was a tiny loo area that I was getting changed in and Adam came in to chat to me while I got sorted, he studies comedy and seems intrigued by every angle and approach and is very respectful of what every brings to the comedy table. I was glad to be doing this gig.
I found out as people were filtering in it was a tenner for a ticket and they get a buffet thrown in, given how close it is to Christmas and that we still live in times of austerity i was therefore impressed that around 20 people attended, this pretty much filling the room. Adam worked the crowd as much as he knew each person due to them all being regulars to the gig. The start was fairly subdued so when Pete Phillipson walked up to the stage it had seemed like he may struggle.... He did not!! It was a superb opening 20, he had the perfect mix of gags, stories and crowd work picking mainly on a guy called Tom that Adam had singled out for a little abuse of the good natured type. I was very impressed with Pete’s skill although not surprised. There was a short break before Rachel Fairburn went on, she looks like a 15 year old however is 32 and has some great lines about the things she says to men that she has slept with to freak them out!! Very funny and a little disturbing!! She also has some nice moments that have a personal touch and all in all a very good set. I was next, I had my watch primed ready but did not set it going and I’m certain I overran such was the fun I was having up there. I was not performing comedy gold nor was I at my best but I was definitely enjoying myself and the audience were lovely. I am not sure if I had done well or just ok but i felt content with what I had done.
Wes closed the night with his superb slapstick and visual comedy one man band style performance. It is not re inventing the comedy wheel but it has definitely put some new tyres on it and had the whole room in tears of laughter. There are few people that deliver a truly unforgettable comedy show but Wes in certainly one. And so ended a great night in Wales.

Gig 93 was Portion of Quips new act special, The idea behind this night was for me to have a bunch of acts at a similar level to me and have them compete for audience votes with the winner getting a paid spot at a future POQ gig. I hoped to raise enough door money to be able to buy some posters and flyers for next years 12 POQ’s so I needed the place nice and busy...and it was just that. Over 50 people crammed in to watch Amy Gledhil, Kahn Johnson, Daniel Nicholson, Dave Rivers, Rich Hodkin and Sally Jones do battle, but before that I had an opener/warm up act in the shape of the wonderful Ross Brierely. Ross came on to a cold crowd, I as MC had tried to work the room but I had not managed to find the level so Ross had to self adjust, but he is more than capable of this and arguably one of the best open spot MC’s going. He had a good go at getting them warmed up tonight but I thought it was particularly difficult for him as the room sussed out what was going on. He had a lovely joke about the German market which was the highlight of a typically energetic and engaging performance. The competition started with Amy doing as Amy always does... making everyone in the room laugh!! A great start, Kahn followed, his pace is slower which may have worked against him in the competition but once he got going the crowd warmed to him and he got some good laughs. Dan was next, he made an error at the start of his set and yet he recovered it superbly although a guy said to me on his way to the toilet, “this guy has terrible material”!! oddly he said this after Dan had only been on for 30 seconds!!! There was a break before Dave rivers opened the 3rd section and nailed his stuff, as good as I have ever seen him. Rich Hodkin went next but while he did ok there was a bit of Rich’s personality missing from this performance and I have seen him much better. Sally Jones closed the show and she was on top form, she was a bit of a late booking as I wanted there to be at least 2 female acts on but had been a bit slow sorting out the second. I was impressed with everyone from Ross through to Sally as they all did their bit but the clear winner on the night was Dan who was closely followed by Amy and Sally sperated by only a couple of points and Dave Rivers only a couple of points behind them. It was a great night for all involved, the audience all seemed to have a great time and I hope to see them all back at the next POQ which will feature a car load from York including Johnny F Monatone and James Christopher to name just 2. Tickets have already started selling too which is nice.

Next for me and my 1st gig in 2013 is Hull for a 1 off gig I believe that is charity. Have a great new year everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment