Friday 22 March 2013

Brown finger will do Gig 119

Only 1 gig this week but at least it was only a short journey although I did still manage to add 80 miles to my dads car which guzzled the fuel making me grateful for our little 1.1 smart car (which was out of service tonight)
It was Huddersfield bar1:22 for open for laughs. Sadly organiser Sally was not going to be there as she was off being funny in Glasgow at the comedy festival, also missing would be resident compère Peter Marshall so Chris Lumb from discount comedy checkout more than capably stepped in. York's James Christopher and newbie Tom Wilson were joining myself and Dave McAndrew for the trip.

Spirits seemed quite high in the car as everyone chatted about the usual comedy related stuff with the added bit of banter. Dave Mac as usual full of innuendo and jokes which makes the car journey that little bit sillier.

Arriving at the venue I was greeted by a former work colleague who lives in the area and who had come to watch me perform as he had not been to see me before, also sat across the room was another couple, Dean and Helena whom I was best man for but sadly do not see very often were also watching me perform, for the 1st time. I had initially feared this would be all there was however, people were filtering in as I was saying my hello's. One of the acts had brought a few people from his wife's side of the family along to support and there were a handful of others making it quite a nice audience of at least 25 people.

There was a nice atmosphere although one or two of the people stood at the back were chatting and not getting on board with the comedy early on.

Chris had some great techniques for warming the audience up including getting them to come on to the stage to have a photo taken with the mic as if they were performing. I had not met Chris before but know he is a strong act from the work he does with the improv goup (Discount comedy check out as prev mentioned)
so he had suitably warmed up the room for the 1st act a new act from Hull who's name I did not catch. From what I heard this was his 2nd or 3rd gig and he did a very good job.
Next up was Dave Mac and he had a new set. It was only a week or so ago that he txt me saying that his new stuff had... well the context was that it had not gone well! but tonight it all clicked nicely and the audience were loving it. This probably the best I had seen from Dave and I saw him storm it in Gainsborough.
James went next with an all new set, this I think will form part of his Edinburgh show the summer. I would like to see the full set as this snippet was excellent.
Tom was next, he was working through a lot of new ideas of which none were fully crafted into materiel yet. some worked some did not and Tom made the most of his time working out what was best at one point getting a big laugh where he clearly did not expect it!

There was a short break before the 2nd section was kicked off in which the caption competition to come up with a new Bond film title, the acts given the responsibility of choosing a winner, among some fairly weak attempts ( I wanted to sat entries but I'm immature and just giggled at the very word) there was one that was simply entitled BROWN FINGER, after a short deliberation JC said upon slight influence from his more immature colleagues 'Yeah, brown finger will do' which in itself amused me!

And so we baegan part 2 with Chris again superbly keeping the audience focus up and dealing with the guys at the back that were still chatting a little.
I was 1st up and wedged a new bit on scuba diving with some very new one linery type jokes in between some more tried and tested stuff. It seemed to go quite well although I had asked Dave to film it for me but my phone ran out of memory so I could not check, I also forgot to start my watch so I have no idea but I think I ran over my time by at least 2 mins. The newer stuff needs work but it was certainly ok as a possible 2 or 3 min set.

Brummie Eddie went after me and he was aided by having family members in the audience in as much as his brother in law was in and when Eddie was talking of his sex life the wonderful heckle OIIIIIIII, THATS MY SISTER was a highlight.

I missed much of the final act but again I understand he was very new and still finding his feet comedically.

And so another gig down, the car journey home oddly saw conversation turn to skeletons in closets and black sheep in the family stuff (led by my comments I would say but alas car share talk must remain as that and I cannot blog details) Next up for me is a long drive to Haselmere for a middle 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment