Saturday 15 September 2012

I don't like you either Gig57


I have competed in gong shows a plenty in my 1st 6 months although never won one with a cash prize often coming 2nd!!! (there is no such thing as second in a gong show you either win, are a finalist or are gonged). One thing I had not done before is taken part in a competition gig where I still get my 10 mins there is no gong but the audience decide who was best (from 7) which is what this Dronfield gig was to be so I was exited about the prospect of this.
My regular car share buddy Dave McAndrew was on board too along with his mate Martin who is a comedy show in himself!! Also joining us was Amy Gledhill a fairly new act who claimed not to have any jokes!! This despite having gigged for silky on 3 occasions, Amy you big fibber!

We arrived at the venue parking in the tightest space eve (I think it might have been for bikes…. And I mean pedal bikes!) and went inside to find a nice little locals pub.
Daniel Kennedy was again on the bill with me, nice to see him again sat in the bar confused as to where we wait as we all were. Organiser Anthony J Brown was not present so the Fantastic Carl Hutchinson was to MC but he had not yet arrived, taking charge in the meantime was a guy called chris, I’m not sure if he was pub staff or worked for Anthony but I know he had a poor attitude in the way he spoke to people belittling them and being generally sarcastic as if everyone was a moron but him, I kept it to myself that I did not like him but it later became apparent he was not well liked by the other acts especially after he gave Carl grief and heckled him while he was trying to warm the audience up. While on that note the audience were in no mood to laugh either, a strange atmosphere generated which was not helped by Chris heckling Carl never seemed to pick up. Now Carl I have seen headline twice at weekend clubs and is a great act, he should not be struggling but it was not his fault at all. The audience twice told him to get on with it when he tried to chat with them and just had no oomph. It was going to be hard work for 1st act Dave Mac to make any impact and he struggled at 1st but won them over a bit towards the middle and end with the audience liking his Uncle bit the most, but they did not laugh aloud. Carl tried again to gee them up but midway through a bit he just called me to the stage deciding they weren’t going for it. So I struggled, I do not yet have the skills to win these kind of audiences over, I tried so hard, I did not reference how miserable they looked I just did what I could but they were not having any of it. At one point I said to a guy who I knew to be called Peter, “I don’t know why im looking at you” as a playful part of my stuff but he just replied “I don’t like you either” so not only was he not listening but he was not a fan!, I was dying on my arse again but this time I felt it was not my fault totally but a bit 50/50 between me and the audience on who to blame. I got through about 8 mins and decided to get the hell off stage to minimal applause! This ended the 1st section. I felt nothing, none of the shame of a bad gig nor the joy of a good one, just nothing, as if I had not even been on, and I suspected they audience would not remember me within 15 mins, sadly I will remember them for a while. The one pleasing element of this was that Carl Hutchinson, an act I really liked came over to me and said he really liked my stuff, this compliment was not hollow either as he need not have said anything so I was happy.

Carl addressed the 1st section having gone badly when going up to begin the 2nd section and he asked the audience if we could start again in terms of them enjoying the show, they seemed to go with that a bit more, but only a bit as the next act struggled too even stopping at one point to ask Carl how to win them back?? But to his credit he carried on and it got better, he had some good stuff and they were coming round. It was the best reaction of the night to be fair.
Amy was next, claiming to be nervous (another porky Amy!! Ha) if she was nervous her drama degree was worth every penny as she looked a seasoned pro up there, confidently delivering her ‘jokes’ and intelligently utilising the room demographic to her advantage. It was an excellent performance and the audience were beginning to show some pleasure to be there! But that soon went as Joe White took the stage, Joe not totally to blame but I have seen him perform better and his jokes are very good although he is very defensive off stage to the point of being a bit twatty when I try talk to him, all three times I have met him now he has had a smart arse remark to a question or enquiry and or general chat, no idea why maybe he’s nervous maybe he’s a dick? I’m guessing it’s not intentional. 2nd section completed only 2 acts to go, Adam Blaize who is it seems Joe’s car share buddy as they rather like Dave Mac and I are often gigging together. Adam has what I call an acquired taste of material but perhaps I’m wrong to use that term, what I mean is I think you like parts of it while other parts let it down and its those parts that might stop him from winning shows like this as the good parts are brilliantly good, but this is just my viewpoint I could be wrong! On this particular night the reception he got was as bland as everyone else’s as was to be final act Daniel Kennedy’s response. Daniel has superb confident delivery and looked to really have this audience on board with his start but sadly he seemed to lose them a little with his normally reliable poem section, perhaps the poem should have come 1st then all the energy he builds up come later? Or perhaps nothing would please this audience?

Well something had to as they were scoring every one, I would love to know the full scores but we only got to find out the £50 cash prize winner which was of course Amy Gledhill and full deserved.

It was a night to put down to experience and one I really enjoyed apart from the 8 or so mins I was on stage!!

Next for me another Anthony J Brown gig, Yorkshire act of the year at the Lawrence Batley theatre in Huddersfield (I have already done the gig I will write the blog Tueasday)

No comments:

Post a Comment