Friday 7 September 2012

So Waco isnt that famous then Gig 56



I clearly have no issues travelling for gigs (well its clear if you follow my blogs/comedy) but it’s always nice to have a home gig, Mr Bens is my usual home gig but I was really looking forward to HOWL run by Thom Milson, Si Finnigan and the returning Mickey Sterrett (he has been back in Ireland for a while). I had a good feeling about this gig although when initially offered it i was worried i would not fit the alternative brand HOWL is championing. It was to be an exciting line up too with Peter Marshall the MC being the only act I did not know already on the bill. It was nice to have a gig falling in my 6 month anniversary week but even nicer to have one with so many acts who have helped me understand the open comedy scene. I think my opinion on what is funny and how comedy should be differs from some of these guys but given how subjective comedy is this does not cause any issues, there is no one telling me how i should think and i respect that even if they think i’m wrong. This thinking is more prevalent with Thom from HOWL, he is one of if not the most hard working acts on the scene and has some strong opinions on how comedy should work, i think i flow against that tide in some ways but yet Thom was happy to book me and support my style.

So the gig itself, i had spread word at work hoping to get a few along and all day people were asking me, are you nervous? No.... not at 10.30, no not when asked again at 12.16, nor again at 1.47 or again at 3.22!!!!! in fact my nerves now are restricted to about 20 mins before going on and then the 1st min or so while i am on. As it turns out there would have been no need to drum up support for the gig as when i arrived it was already clear it was going to be busy, Si Finnigan was warning me not to try new material as there was a special guest too (Ben Breier offof Mr Bens) A game it is (i don’t have any new stuff to try yet really anyway)
The other acts were all gathering outside too and it was nice to catch up with them before the running order was decided. I had made a polite request to go on in the second section which was granted. The room packed, the scene set for a great gig our host warming them up nicely 1st act Jed Salisbury burst on to the stage with his energy and got the night off to a great start. They room crammed with varying age groups lapping up Jeds set, brilliant opening. Andy Woolston followed with a performance a million miles better than his last one at Mr Bens, Andy was in fine form working the room beautifully, a joy to watch. The final act of the 1st section was to be the fabulous Mickey Sterrett, i was looking forward to this and not let down... Daddy had been drinking! Mickey just owns every set he does and killed it. The night was buzzing the audience loving it, well except for a small few at the back which someone had decided MUST be my friends (they were not i had only 1 of my friends who was talking... although she was the loudest!!!)
I only mention that one negative to an otherwise superb night because i was on 1st after the break and they were still talking through my set... but i enjoyed one of the best gigs of my 56 none the less, there was at least 40 people in and it seemed at some point or other i was able to make them all giggle. My set was the usual stuff but i added some ad lib stuff which worked ok... well apart from the Waco BBQ bit... i guess not many people know what Waco was so the idea of the FBI being invited for a BBQ was not remotely funny!! But that said i had a great time really enjoying my moment on stage in a great line up.
Next on was Simon Gutherless, he has a creepy essence but he did not have his shovel and rubber gloves this time, the 1st 2 mins of his set was slightly disturbed by the creaky door but undeterred Simon won over the audience with his joke rate keeping the theme of the night and the standard high. Thom went next and looked uber confident. Thom’s performance was excellent, the kind of performance he has been churning out recently and the audience were enjoying every minute of it as was I, Jon Newell pointing out Thom has been nailing it every gig recently, true dat.
Si Finnigan would close the night. I have seen Si close HOWL before and this was similar. Si has pacing and timing that work perfectly and can jump off from his set to attack hecklers like a comedy pit bull before reverting back to jokes as if nothing happened. I particularly like the French lessons bit and date night stuff from his new material and thought it was a great end to the night.
Would just like to mention MC Peter Marshall as his will Smith joke was best joke of the night (although the guys in my office all thought Jed was best act of the night)
What a great night, i really hope for many more great gigs like this in the future and to be booked to do HOWL again one day.

Next for me Dronfeild

No comments:

Post a Comment