Sunday 15 November 2015

Winging it

3 years ago I had a solo show called what am I doing here, it was my 1st real attempt at such a thing and had it not have been for 18 months of being in a really dark place (mentally, I wasn't locked in a cupboard or anything) it would have gone to Edinburgh.... thankfully it didn't, because it was pish! I'm assuming here that pish is a Scottish word for rubbish, if it means something else this may make no sense, thankfully it didn't because it was xylophone or something ridiculous.


It was not rubbish in relation to where I was at that time though, it's just I was so bad that it seemed like a superb show! it wasn't but one thing I did do with it was self promote it and take it to various venues to get into the swing of doing an hour performance, although in the end it was only 45 mins or so, finishing early not usually one of my habits and like this cheap metaphor I'm making I did feel like apologising after for giving what was my best performance but yet still not one that is deeply satisfying.


This weekend I returned to Hull for the comedy festival to make this my 3rd year there after last year I did a revised version of the previous show but god knows where I was mentally then!! I was certainly very drunk!
I love the festival in Hull, its well supported, well attended and this year again very well run.
I decided this year to take a work in progress type show as Leicester comedy festival looms and I would like to use that as starting point for a year of hour performances before actually trying to get something from comedy's trade fair in August.


Taking into consideration last years mini tour that was self promoted and ran in Huddersfield, Carlisle, Doncaster (kind of) Blackburn and 2 nights in Leeds I may do something similar this year, promote myself, set a budget find venues and have a pay what you like or nominal door fee, Hell I'm not going to upset the governing body of comedy, what with there not being one, so why the hell not.


I'm under no illusions I'm brilliant and could sell out big venues across the country, I have family members who don't know who the fuck I am so I hardly have a following but I am at a standard now where my filter has caught up, I still write shit jokes I just don't say them loudly in rooms full of people who have paid for mirth. I do, however, have a style now that works, a set that is stronger than ever, it had to be though really, I mean there's only so many times I can pretend to be a chicken crossing the road!


I have thought about what direction acts take, listened to Stuart Goldsmith's brilliant podcast and watched mates or acquaintances pick up TV work, sign up with agents and win national competitions and it has all pointed to the reality that, this comedy lark, we are all fucking winging it! I even think Steve Bennett at Chortle gets home some days and thinks, "well I haven't a fucking clue so I'll just say it was average" and massive promoters think, fuck it we will just keep booking the same 12 acts because we don't trust anyone else!


All someone like me needs to do is knuckle down, create my own path and have some fun, so that's the plan, although a big push in 2016 would be useful, so don't be surprised if you see a self promoted mini tour popping up.


J xx

No comments:

Post a Comment