Tuesday 23 February 2016

I stole a joke, So what?

I'm a day late getting this out, I'm a day late getting this out because Jed and Andy came to my house to have a day of writing together, I'm a day late getting this out because Jed and Andy came to my house to do some writing together but we ended up talking about all the people in comedy that piss us off and the reasons why (its a small list but there are some French showers ((Douches)) out there)
I'm a day late getting this out because Jed and Andy came round to do some writing and we ended up going to see Deadpool (it was good but no where near the level some people seem to suggest, I'm just not comic book nerdy enough)
So that's that.

I had a weekend, wasn't good wasn't bad was just a weekend. Given that I now rely solely on stand up to provide an income I could say it was a bad weekend as £100 worth of gig was cancelled on Friday, my 3rd cancellation in 2 weeks that coming after I joked that acts are bullshitting when they claim gigs have been cancelled.
Alas I could not get myself booked on anything else and as I emailed promoters telling them of my cancellation even I thought it there was an aroma of bullshit emanating from the message.

Saturday I was booked in for a trial gig 240 miles away near Brighton for £10 English pounds (thats worth £10 in today's money!) something that would cost me 5 hours 45 mins driving there and 4 hours 15 getting back for 10 mins on stage in front of in the end 11 people.... sounds awful right?
it was in fact a lovely gig and well worth the travel especially as I attempt to build a little bit more of a Southern profile.
That's necessary because I'm incredibly bad at shouting the loudest about how good I am in the North and so struggle to show up on anyone's radar long enough to be considered remotely decent.

Thing is I am stuck in some kind of paradox where I hate every thing I do and I'm frustrated it's not better yet I'm so very aware I can make people laugh and have the ability to swagger about the stage like I own it.
So why can't I shout loudly? choosing to blog instead like a meek schoolboy writing down his thoughts in a (very public through choice) diary (I do like blogging though)

There was an opportunity for me to join in with some comics all shouting loudly against Cheggers as he clearly was nicking jokes and using them on his app but I just could't bring myself to join in, odd really as I agree with the Comedian community standing up in a different way, this being for their right to be credited for their work. Thing is, some acts were just getting involved simply to say they were blocked by him (he was twitter blocking anyone vocal about the joke theft and some acts who were kicking off should probably try google their own material before shouting up about nicked stuff, although Cheggers was blatantly nicking jokes and some of these acts may have just accidentally come up with something similar to whats out there (I have done that and ditched anything too similar although kept my throwing up all over a girl story that I have been accused of nabbing because its a true story and fuck off thats why )

Non comedy people thinking that joke theft isn't so bad by the way... its bad because thinking of an original joke, writing it, driving to a gig in a pub in the middle of nowhere to test it, tweaking and re writing it, testing it again, getting it perfect, driving all across the country trying to earn meagre wages that have not increased in the 11 years I have been involved in comedy (most of that as promoter) only for some prick to take credit on twitter and you to have audience members tell you they have heard it before thus possible costing you an opportunity to further earn a living..... not cricket!!

It's great that team comedy got together to yell at Cheggars, I'm pleased to see the industry if there really is one, stand up for itself like this although no one is ever going to say, "I stole a joke, so what" but its still worth while asking them the question.
 I suppose I could have joined in, got myself blocked and been part of it, and I'm not criticising those that did but I am just rubbish at making myself welcome in the social environment of anything and so..... I drive 240 miles to build a profile elsewhere!

Shouting loudly on Facebook or twitter, being full of beans in green rooms, being able to fake it until you make it seem to be outside of my remit, but then as I have mentioned in the past, there is no defined path so I shall continue to plug away and to be fair having no dayjob now has really benefited me, I have a much more healthy looking diary these days, go me!

Thank you again for reading my ramble, I shall be slightly changing pace from this week forth blogging about my take on the worlds news stories weekly with a monthly ramble about my experiences being a mediocre stand up.

J x


1 comment:

  1. Yep, nobody takes comedy seriously enough to apply everyday rules to it. Those that have to earn a living from it though still have to live by everyday rules

    ReplyDelete