Sunday 13 March 2016

I'm well funny

So... It was brought to my attention that I don't seem to give myself any love in this word vomit of my comedy experiences. 

After my post about perception it was pointed out that maybe this doesn't help (I really don't think any key comedy gate keepers read this but maybe some promoters do I guess so for you guys and girls... I'm well funny) 

Im aware there are acts maybe earning less than me perhaps creating the persona of a pro comic while I still beaver away considering myself a newb.... Although based on what I get I consider myself close enough to a pro act to not be chasing down a new day job... A sort of pro that not many of the big clubs book yet!! 

Although I've not really tried because when I show up on their radar I want to be so polished they see a solid act not a developing one... It's a marathon not a snickers this comedy lark.

Me being hilarious earlier this year.

I maybe don't give myself enough love... I think there's a strong right arm suggesting I have done historically and there in that alone is my reason, a cheap wanking joke... So I don't want to be the cheap wank joke act... But then I gig with a pro act who phones it in and delivers jokes they were doing 12 years ago and think.. While I'm trying to build a person that act is tearing the roof off, bookers are happy with the reliability and professionalism of said act, it's maybe tough.

Then there are alternative nights but they don't book me because I have a crowd pleaser style at the moment which I stand by, almost the kind of thing I'm bemoaning but that's the next thing on my agenda... 

So what if other acts are doing stuff
You or I don't agree with or like, so what if they are talking about a subject you think is hack... I need to worry about one act and one act only and that is me... Improve me as much as possible.

Seeing acts doing well and feeling bitter is a thing that pops up in car shares or green room natter too... I'm one for it now and then but that's going to have to stop (to be fair I'm only bitter about the ones that have been dicks to me)
Why be bitter, just be happy (not through gritted teeth) for other acts... A great night of comedy was like the one I MCd (to perfection!) on Sunday where all 4 acts went down a storm... It's great to have nights like that and all 50 of those punters will be back at comedy for certain. 

Let me try make a point... Leicster city in the back ground and a back and forth about my Edinburgh jaunt have maybe made me meander through this post without getting to one but then again I seldom do! 

I think, for what it's worth, I'm quite good... I'm absolutely not where I want to be and my writing is slowly getting there but I WILL make audiences laugh and I have enough of a non offensive demeanour to not have to try too hard to get people to like me (unless there's a gong!!)

I am funny though!! On purpose, yes I'm terrified that someone is going to tell me they have found me out and my comedy is just a pathetic attempt to be liked (it kinda is!!) but I know I can do a job so this is the nice to myself blog and stop worrying about others.

I've won stuff!! Sure Funny Scunny isn't the big award we all need to know about or 2013 Yorkshire new act of the year isn't particularly national but it's hard for a straight white male in this game... *acts I've he believes that


I am pleased to say in closing that I'm not totally down on myself I just have a lot more hard work to do, but I bloody love it.

Now before I bugger off please allow me to include this link to my podcast in case you fancy a listen to me waffling rather than just read it... It's about mysteries and stuff.... There's some funny bits.
The Jim Bayes Show by Jim Bayes
https://itun.es/gb/IQfrab.c

No comments:

Post a Comment