Sunday 20 March 2016

Remain open spots forever

Wow there's a lot of comedians, loooots of comedians... I think there's about a gazillion comedians, if not there's more, maybe a gazillion and 6.

Some of them will remain open spots for ever and ever, the reasons are varied, maybe they have a dayjob that's holding them back or they secretly fear not having the security of a day job so won't kick on.
Maybe they just want to do this comedy lark for a hobby or they can't travel or they have a family.... Or maybe they are just shite! There's a few who are shite, thankfully for them they are blissfully unaware of how shite they are.

There are a bazillion acts who are good enough to kick on and be fully pro acts but aren't because of the gazillion who went before. It can be annoying, I saw a pro act recently, best paid act on the bill, he was headlining, same set he did 29 million years ago (well ok 10)

Dude just phoned it in, twas good enough for the audience of course but it really proves the point that quality isn't all that's needed in an act. Reliability is key, comedians are like cars, bookers sometimes want the impressive fancy pants Ferrari but really what most what is that trustworthy Volvo. 

I went pro comic in Jan that as well as doing every open spot that seems worthy and whoring myself out to radio stations, podcasters and magazines.

The pro act thing though, yeah, I can say that because I have enough work coming in to not need a dayjob but I imagine some people scoffing... I have been letting what the tothers think of me slow me down, that's been the thing keeping me in open spot land! 

Radio stuff, or shit where's wally?

Fact is just about every other act is like me, they all think they are good enough to deliver but really believe they are shite.
Their opinions about me are not my concern nor are my opinions about others theirs, so that's that dealt with.

I am of course not pro act in the sense of  all the big weekend clubs booking me over and over again, doesn't happen.

I've barely bothered them, why would I want xs malarkey, Manfords (although I have bothered them a little to be fair)
Komedia, comedy store, the comedy club ltd or other big players to be hooking me now when I'm just another guy telling jokes, nope I'm doing as much comedy for as many bookers as I can remaining as much under the radar as is workable so when I pop up an the radar of these guys (hopefully next year) they wonder where the fook I came from and why they haven't been booking me already.

This next few months I think it's fair to say I will be doing pretty much any and every gig thrown my way as I genuinely believe in myself for the 1st time in 4 years.

I got something to give comedy, I'm going to bleedin give it before I get all elderly or dead!

J x

No comments:

Post a Comment