Monday 26 November 2012

Got myself into Hot Water, gigs 83-86

Well this was a week that was supposed to be crammed with gigs readying me for the Mr Bens new act of the year final, but 2 out of the 6 gigs in 8 days were without audience and as a result called off. Sadly for me one of these was after a 140 mile drive!!! so 280 miles and £40 fuel for nothing was one in the lessons learnt column.

The gigs that I did manage started on Monday night with Ben Browns Sh!ts and giggles at the musiquarium in Kirkstall. included Portion of Quips in Pudsey, A one off charity gig in Sheffield and then Hot Water Comedy Liverpool.

Gig 83.
I arrived at the Musiquarium in Kirkstall unsure really what to expect, I had done Ben Browns Hirsts Yard gig and it was a lovely and busy gig. This venue was a dingy recording studio/ music venue. It was a cold venue and very dark (basically a converted garage unit) but there were outdoor heaters a bar and some sofa style seating. To be honest it was perfect for the purpose it served. The gig itself was hosted by Ben who Mc'd his way through the latest Metro newspaper, a very long MCing set but filled with energy. 1st up was a guy who would be trotting off to London for a new job and was doing his last Yorkshire gig for a while, I missed his name but he was very funny. I went 2nd, the crow was around 10 or 12 strong and they were very receptive. I enjoyed the gig and just used it as practice for next Monday. I did 10 mins which meant I had over run by a few mins from what I wanted (I was aiming for 7 mins) but for a small intimate gig I was  happy enough. Rob James Alexander was on next but I had to shoot off and missed his set but from all accounts it rounded off a nice gig.

Gig 84.
This was my Pudsey gig and I had a great line up. Jed Salisbury was to open, Si Finnigan and Thom Milson from HOWL would be doing middle spots and Rich Austin closing the middle section keeping the quality high. Headliner was Roland Gent who had stepped in after 2 line up changes.

I was worried that this would be a quiet one as at 8pm there were only 4 people in the room and the act had arrived. This was an uncomfortable situation and I felt for the acts, especially as I had lost out on some pre booked guests who were ill. But my worries were unnecessary as people began flooding in and by start time at 8.30 there were 33 in which was a nice crowd. I was again host and MC and used this time just to go round the room, welcome people, try some banter and ad lib and generate warmth for Jed to open. Jed is a great opener, if you are a promoter reading this he is worth every penny if you book him as either opener middle or closer. He warmed the room up with his energy and charm and the jokes landed, as always a the audience really enjoyed his stuff. Si went 1st after the break following me trying a little new bit. He was relaxed and looked comfortable as he mocked the concept of misogyny although the audience did not fully get it. He moved seamlessly through a nice bit about learning French and being on a spy mission in French books, this was more the audience level and they really got on board then as Si delivered the laughs. Thom was next up, a slow start for Thom as he tried to find what worked but he really built up to a wonderful albeit self depreciating set, this culminating in a wonderful ending that the audience belted out laughter at, one of Thoms best performances I have seen. Rich Austin followed, he appealed to a different section of the room with the older guys at the back laughing at every word. Rich will always deliver and this was no different. A very high standard middle. I did a little more working round the room and some older material as I tried to build up momentum for Roland who came on and stormed it.... his material based around the Manchester chav landed with everyone and he had a great set although he overran a touch.
This gig is turning into a little gem and the supportive landlord helps no end.

Gig 85
This was a charity gig in Sheffield for a guy who was going to be walking from John O Groats (is that how its spelt?) to South Africa. The venue looked a lot like something from phoenix nights, there was even a grumpy tossbag of a landlord (who gave me a foul mouthed tirade for drinking beer from the rider and not from his bar) and bingo next door! The acts included Sean Morley who was impressive, Matt Mulligan who was very impressive and Daniel Nicholas who won the grand comedy howler earlier this year who again looked very good. Dave rivers MC'd and did a nice job in a difficult situation as the audience were not that vocal with their laughter. The room layout meant the audience were quite a way back from the stage, now my opinion is a stronger act than that what was performing tonight would have done a superb job but as it is we all did ok. it was not one of my best performances but it was all it could have been on the night. I guess gigs like these teach you how far away you are from being any good yet and I need to really work hard.

Gig 86
Hot water comedy club Liverpool run a new act new material night called testing the water. Tonight Dave McAndrew and I were on the bill along with 7 other acts. The room was packed and a great layout for comedy. Binty Blair greeted us and was welcoming and we took seats at the back waiting to see how the night would unfold. Paul Smith MC'd and was superb, one of the best MC's I have seen with lots of jokes, energy and such a pleasant demeanor. Local lad Adam Rowe opened with a lively set full of local references and the audience were in raptures. Dave Mac followed and set of like a freight train with the jokes landng and a lovely new bit working nicely. I missed the latter part of his set as I went back stage ready to come on.
My set started with me trying a silly poem as one audience member was a rather eccentric poet who was challenged to write a poem about scottish power (so figured I would write a limerick type poem to open with) that went ok and I moved into material, not every joke landed in my opinion but I knew the room were on side and I was getting some nice laughs. The support came in the way of 3 applause breaks which has never happened before and one guy even shouted genius!! of course very flattering but not really deserved I was telling jokes not curing cancer!! The big Julie bit went as well as it ever has at the end and I was very happy with the reception. After the break a guy did a very nice bit about the 12 days of Christmas song then followed one of the worst comedy performances I have ever seen, I hate to be cruel but it was a horror show all 12 mins of it, this set included the word I have a beautiful cock (followed by a graphic description of his penis) then a horrible bit about being circumcised with someones teeth and he even said this requires you to suck a childs ... well I cant even write it... it was horrible!! poor guy was only doing gig 3 although he did not seem fully aware of how bad it was (a blessing??? I dont think so as he may try again).
There were some nice performances but I did not take notes to report on who and how good (sorry).

I enjoyed the drive home banter with Dave as usual and the confidence boost going into tonight's MrBens final was much needed as I face a very very strong line up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment