Monday 5 November 2012

MC OTT!! gig 77

Gig 77 was some paid MC action in Hull. The pa was nice but more to cover expenses and not a reflection on my progression... that said I would like to have been able to perform well to justify receiving any cash for my being there.

Travelling with me was Callum Scott who would be making his 1st ever visit to Hull, his last too? I doubt it but there was a mixed reception for him, more on that shortly.

Also on the bill were  the excellent Pete Phillipson, Andy Woolston and Jay Hampson with whom I would be gigging for the 1st time.

Arrival at the gig was slightly late but the band were just finishing as I arrived so it wasn't a massive issue although I did not have long to get ready and get started. The pub was full, the atmosphere was a nice one but there was not the same buzz about the room that exited last time.

I took to the stage and waffled MC like crap at the audience but it was not my best... for some reason I was just off the pace and the audience did not seem to certain where I was going with it. I was not helped by the very tinny sound system.. Not helped but not hindered, The lack of quality was my own doing. The sound was adjusted and I was able to get Pete on to the stage to do his opening 15 mins.

Pete was brilliant, he went through his set with ease and was more than comfortable with the situation that I had left him in ( a room that was not properly warmed up) We had a break and I was thinking through some advice I was given on Mcing... ask the audience lots of questions and react from their answers. This was my intention from the second part of the gig but I went overkill.... tried to talk to too many people and had very few decent answers to turn any of it into good jokes so when it seemed I had them up I missed my best que point to get an act on and actually timed my mid bit at 16 mins... way too long really.
Andy therefore had to battle to keep audience attention up during his set which was not fair on him really. That said he did a grand job. Callum had it even harder to get the audience attention although he had it very early on. He had their attention but they looked at him as he went through his gay stereotypes material as if to say.... an actual gay?? and he's allowed in? I'm sure there wasn't such prejudiced though processes going on but it did seem that way.  I don't have the skills Callum has though and he rescued it however only about 25% of the audience were on board again down to my over MCing.

Final act Jay Hampson went on and just won the audience over in a few seconds, He laid in to the awkward old fella at the front who refused to turn round or listen to the gig. Jay's set was snappy and well presented and he was excellent to watch. This rounded off the night nicely however I have to really learn the lessons of the night which are to do my best stuff in the opening section, get to know the audience in that section then just keep it snappy from there on.

I'll not dwell on it but I at least know for next time.

My next gig Mr Bens as a gong show opener which is always tough so maybe i'll abandon material and try ad lib?? not sure yet

No comments:

Post a Comment