Tuesday 27 November 2012

Mr Bens new act of the year final. Gig87

So time had come to put myself to the test, I have been in finals before in comedy but these were selected as a new act and put straight through to the final, this one I had to work for in the gong shows and winning it twice was what qualified me. Now lets not get carried away, I know I would have struggled had I been in the semi final (when you win the gong show once you do the semi final) but I didn't have to worry about that as I was really grateful to those drunk teenage girls for drunkenly voting me a joint winner with Ross Brierley all those weeks ago.

This was a strong line up of new acts. I would have to be on top of my game and the others have an off day to be able to win, but winning for me was not the key, I'm not ready for progression yet and I'm not deserving of the weekend spot yet. For me one thing was key, impressing the judges and in particular Silky who books kill for a seat comedy. I really want to do the Kill for a seat gigs and I won't lie, if Silky was to dislike my stuff I would be gutted.

The competition tonight was a veritable who's who of open spots in Yorksihre

Callum Scott, Thom Milson, Si finnigan, Jacob Rawcliffe, Mickey Sterrett, Mark Hayden, Elizabeth Hotson (as Julie Jones)
Masai Graham, Jim Kelly and Rahul Kohli.

So the show itself, It was hosted by the wonderful Lewis Charlesworth who was capably warming up the packed room ready for the competition. He spent 10 mins doing what I guess we could call the Lewis show and after a few mins the audience primed it was time to go.
the hardest job of the night was going 1st and that fell to Rahul Kohli, He dealt with the pressure well and was confident and very certain of his delivery, it was just so tough going 1st and the audience were not quite with him. Masai Graham was second, he knocked it out of the park, great gags (his black country one is awesome) and great persona... have we seen a winner already?? Jacob Rawcliffe went 3rd, he is refreshing and different and it complimented the on line style we had just seen from Masai. Jacob is an act that makes me look pathetic with his ability to craft material and he maintained the standard. Thom Milson went next, he is on form right now and he delivered one of his best ever performances just as he did on Thursday, it was a joy to watch.

There was a short break then part 2.

Opening part 2 was Mickey Sterrett, one of my favorite acts Mickey was stylishly clever and brilliantly funny, how are the judges going to separate these acts?? Julie Jones a pre gig favorite was next and everyone's favorite Chav was as ever superb keeping the joke rate high. Jim Kelly was act 7 and he picked up where Julie left of in the sense that he kept the jokes flowing and nailed every line, yet another superb performance.... and now... my turn. Going 8th was perfect, it was the spot I would have chosen if I could and the electric atmosphere was helpful. I was not nervous and started with a new bit about my movember not being a Movember but rather to scare kids!! then I went through my staple material. I would say that this was one of my better performances, I timed almost everything right and I had worked it all into a tighter set although at the end I was rushing and stumbled over a word or 2 but I had otherwise done ok.
the second break was allowing me to get some air and chill, on the way out Silky asked me if I still live in Otley and if I might be interested in doing a gig there.... FUCK YEAH!! I no longer cared about the result!!

Final section was Mark Hayden doing what only Mark Hayden can... and the audience loved it. My favorite bit of the night when they were flashing the light at the end of Marks set to notify him time was up and he yelled fuck off with the light I know I haven't won so i'll finish this bit!! haha. Si Finnigan was next and what a performance from Si, I leaned over to Vik and said that could just win it, never seen him so good!!
Callum was our headline, and i'll call him that as he was as ever superb. I would say he was not even doing his best stuff yet he still put everyone else in the shade and given how good tonight was that is quite some statement!!

So the results.... 3rd place.... SI FINNIGAN... well done, 2nd place....... MASAI GRAHAM...... a fabulous performance..... and the winner is..... JIIIMM oh no sorry CALLUM SCOTT, and absolutely the right choice.... the night was brilliant everyone nailed it and I was happy, the negative for me is that I did my very best stuff, in a perfect slot, timed almost to perfection and still was not good enough.... that message has sunk in... better get writing!! but still happy, although no idea if Silky will contact me (or how??) but knowing he would book me is a great feeling.

and now a week off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment