Tuesday 5 February 2013

99 but no flake Gigs96-99


Gigs have dried up for me a bit since becoming a homeowner but I have managed to get a few in during the january transfer window (a completely uneccasasry reference)

GIg 96
One of these was to be my 1st closer gig. I was selected to close not just on last which was nice. A 20 min set too which I have not done on purpose much before (I did 20 mins at the Lescar once just riffing which I must point out was not for last laugh). Doing the closing 20 was in no way a measure of me against the other acts, in fact I was one of the weakest on the bill!! but it was my style that meant the the lovely Amy Gledhill who organised the night felt I would be a good closer. Opener duty went to one of the best openers I know, certainly on the open mic scene however, this guy is pushing into paid and rightly so. I am of course referring to Jed Salisbury. He went through the gears nicely focusing on his more inappropriate stuff which was getting the laughs however, it did lead to a priest leaving!! I shit you not!!
I am sketchy on the order of the middle section so apologies to those involved if I remember this the wrong way round but I believe it was Anna King-Jackson 1st of second section, gigging in Hull made her accent stronger but it suited this gig perfectly and the jokes landed with the warm supportive crowd enjoying themselves. Si Finningan was next and riffed nicely, n fact it could easily have been material which was lapped up by the crowd. Next was Jon Newell, sadly I missed most of Jon's set as I was pacing nervously. I know that he did perform my favorite routine of his and he seemed in control with a new air of arrogance in a way.

I went last, I was looking forward to this but I just never got going, I was slow out of the blocks in a performance  sense, I did zero crowd work and I did not time my jokes well... and that was just the positives!! But I relaxed a bit more as I got going and I thought I was able to cover up the below par performance a bit. I got some laughs though, some newer bits worked and all in all I was happy to get the experience of a closer spot.... although I will not be putting 'headliner' on my CV just yet!
It was a lovely gig to play and I hope Amy who did a fab job as MC keeps this going.


Gig 97
This was not so much a gig as a comedy testing ground, the audience made up of new acts. I did my 3 minutes based around the guy that sells sofa's and tried to create a ludicrous version of him... it went ok, lets just say that. Not much more I can say on this night other than the input of Geoff Whiting was the most invaluable comedy advice I have heard yet.

Gig 98

My Pudsey gig, sold out (although a few people did not turn up) and a strong line up from York.
There was something missing from the past few portion of quips nights though, some of the atmosphere was not there. Maybe it was the problems I was having the PA system, maybe it was because I was so tired, maybe because of nothing and it was just one of those things?.
Johnny F monotone opened and was, as ever, superb! just such an enjoyable act to watch as the audience laugh and also cringe as he stares around the room. Very good start after my fairly lack luster MCing had barely warmed them up. Simon D Heaven went next, He was a little self conscious tonight it seemed which meant his timing was not to its usual high standard, a few comments after were that he had by far the best jokes but did not wait for the audience to clock on quite long enough... Pudsey crowds need that extra second.
There was then a break before I returned to pick up the pace a little with the Mcing, it went a bit better for me the second section and the crowd seemed to wake up a bit. Alistair Greaves took to the stage next, he did a nice musical bit but it wasn't always clear what was being said. Sir Dickie Benson followed and put in one of the performances of the night, always a joy to to see sir Dickie in action and the Pudey crowd really enjoyed it.
James Christopher brought the night to a close with a set that included some great jokes along with James's geek chic style, there were 2 great moments with applause breaks, those being Gap year and def Jam! I like the way James presents his comedy and it was a pleasure to have all these acts, just a shame it was a bit flat compared to past nights but I took a lot from it personally and vow never to allow that to happen again..

Gig 99

This was my return to London, I was presenting my brand new never performed 3 mins on the awkwardness of greetings, I would say it needs a little tweaking and polishing but the feedback was good and my Debra nhams off the cuff joke worked although that kind of joke has been done before.
it was a no frills performance at a no frills night but I am glad to be getting some exposure to London and meeting the acts based there.

My next real gig is the Final of the roadhouse competition in Birmingham with a headliner spot at Glastonbudget up for grabs i better be on my A game, my last final at Mr Bens I was on my A game yet was not even top 3 so work to do and one of the guys who beat me, the man who came second that night Masai Graham is also in this final!

No comments:

Post a Comment