Saturday 23 February 2013

It was rammed last month, Gigs103-104

I once again found myself sat on a megabus, the hellish journey to London made worse by half term and the fact that the bus was full, cramped and smelly. For some reason the bus driver opted to have the heating on... when you can feel the sweat in your bum cheeks you know its not a nice journey! still I feel it is a worthwhile one, I would be performing only 5 minutes of materiel all newly written especially for these shows. I am pleased I decided to do this, I need to write and I need a goal with the writing as I do not have spare time or a plethora of thoughts like some of the talented writers in and around the open mic scene in Leeds and beyond. I had also recently procured some materiel from another act as he had decided it didn't suit him and it fit perfectly in one of my anecdotes. Now this was all fine until I was contacted with a very polite email from another comic who claimed this materiel to be his, he even provided an audio clip to prove it, this clip proved nothing really however, I know I did not write this and I do not want an unfair reputation forming for myself or this other act and his approach was fair although he was tipped off by other acts I had nicked this.... I do not know exactly what was said but unless you are certain and 100% whiter than white then be wary of accusations, I work hard and could do without some miscued accusations stewing in my head.

My latest attempt at a fresh 5 was my best yet I think, I stepped on to the stage with an opening line about the mundane thoughts I have when driving, then escalated them to how my mind works on the Monday drive to work moving on to how much I hate my car and thoughts about cars in general. I was very pleased with the reaction and some nice big laughs where I had hoped... it was the 1st time I felt in control of my comedy and not just saying random shit hoping it would be funny although that is essentially still all it is.

gig 103 down and I felt pleased with progress.

104 Derby Uni

My next gig was a trip to Derby University with Ross Brierely who's company is always enjoyable. The usual chat of how we know everyone better than they know themselves and of course despite having less than a year under our belt we of know how comedy should work (we are very aware we know fuck all by the way, I wouldn't want this blog post reviewing and being misunderstood)
Arrival at the uni was well timed with the hockey team all gathered in the foyer... hello ladies!! however, when we arrived at the gig it was a ghost town!! the standard you should have seen it last month quote followed but from all accounts it was rammed last month, this month.. half term.. just 16! but they were a good 16 to have in as they were confident to laugh out loud, intelligent and attentive. I was up 1st, Matt Fong opted not to do too much MCing and I expected them to be a bit cold, not at all, they were lovely. I enjoyed my 15 minutes and it seems they did too. Rick Wood was next, I unfortunately missed his set as I went to say hello to headliner Sully who had just arrived and then a beer stop but I heard he did well with a shorter set of new stuff. Dan Nicholas went next and as always just made everyone laugh by being there! his awkward appearance and clever usage of pauses, facial expressions and movement were a hit. Ross Brierely who's name I'm never sure if I am spelling right followed and was as ever commanding, entertaining and funny. Ross has a superb attitude and no matter how a gig is going he will do everything he can to remain as professional as an act of his calibre can, I say his calibre as he does not have 16 years man and boy experience that some acts have yet it seems he has and he rounded off the open spot section of the gig in style.

Sully went on after the break and owned the stage, he was able to gauge the level of the room instantly and delivered his set like it was the 1st time the words had ever been spoken, to a room of just 16, t was great to watch... this is the ultimate perk of being a stand up, you get to see great stand up at all levels.

The traditional MacDonalds stop before driving home was included and the workshop of a car journey home was great fun with both Ross and I coming up with a new joke for each others set. Another one of those great nights, next stop London again where I will be doing one liners and also talking about sex baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment