Tuesday 19 February 2013

Lost in the midlands gigs100-102


Now anyone who plays cricket (immediately people stop reading and yawn) will know that getting your century is a big thing, so I shall use this analogy, you see when you are on 99 you want to hit Shane Warne or Dale Steyn back over their head for a massive Six. So when you are on 99 gigs you want your 100th to be that massive 6, maybe a pro bill on a Saturday where you rip the room to apart and pull the supermodel on the front row... but my 100th gig was more like that chipped mishit shot that 3rd slip should really have caught as you trudge through for a lucky single..... shit analogies aside I was pleased to get to 100 albeit in the safe environment of the London workshop I have been attending, this is still a gig for those who are sneering as there is an audience to perform to after in a small room and there is a full round up of acts going through their routines. My turn was right at the end, I had written a new 5 as are the rules for this gig. I had opted to write about a run in i had had with a homeless guy after a night out, something i had been toying with writing about previously  to say it went well would sound cocky but.... it went well, the laughs happened where i had hoped although it was a very friendly supportive audience. So gig 100 on a Monday night in a tiny room above a pub in London with a battery operated PA, about 14 in the audience and all new materiel... but 100 not out (ok Jim fuck off with the cricket stuff already)

Gig 101 was part one of a double header in Birmingham.
It was run in a lovely little social club in Erdington just outside of central Brum by Andy Nightingale. I was down to do January however the gig was pulled due to snow which was a shame however at that time i was suffering from Tonsilitis so glad it worked out that way and now as I have the final of the roadhouse new act competition in Stirchley (about 20 min drive away) it was nice to double up.
When I arrived at Hollywood social Andy was waiting in the doorway and welcomed me, he directed me to the back room where 2 guys sat chatting along with a lady, they were the other 2 open spots and the girlfriend of one. Both lads were celebrating a year in stand up, although they were a month ahead of me in start time they were a few gigs behind me at around 20 or so each. Headliner Andy White and the MC Dave Dinsdale arrived shortly after as did opener Pete Teckman. They headed for the green room (or pool room) and so I went to join as did Shaun and Gareth the other two open spots previously mentioned. In the green room I found myself talking like i was performing materiel... I didn't mean to I just came across as that twat that never stops!! it was actually nerves as I am not gigging regularly at the moment, I cant get booked locally which is fine but booking myself into this long haul gigs means I am not as match fit as I should be. This was largely evident in my set, I was nervy  in my delivery and did not land every punch line... I was fixated on a lady in the front row of the 30 or so strong crowd who was hating me!! her boyfriend not too keen either and I believe he was Andys brother.. oh well. I dropped my new bits on the homeless guy and handshakes in and they went ok but on the whole i was well below par. I could not stay to watch the others so i said my goodbyes and dashed across Brum to Stirchly.
Gig 102
So I had entered a new act competition (in June I think) the heats were held over a few months with some 300 acts I'm told taking part? I had heard nothing so assumed no success so when I received an email congratulating me on making the final I was chuffed. What was even more pleasing was seeing what the prize was, for being a finalist I would be performing at GlastonBudget on the comedy stage that was going to be debuted this year. GlastonBudget is basically a scale down version of glastonbury with tribute bands taking the place of real bands (of course tributes are still real bands) There are 2 stages, the main stage and the less main stage i guess? 15000 people will attend and now, for the 1st time, there will be comedy... and im on!! awesome. The final will decide who headlines the show as all finalists will be performing at the festival and have free VIP weekend passes to boot. So I arrived, late as I was at Erdington. When I arrived there was a young man playing acoustic guitar and singing both covers and his own songs, He was doing 10 mins and I was to follow a fact I discovered as i arrived. I was immediately worried, I had performed badly once already tonight and now I am following a musician... shit!! I was beckoned to the stage by Jamie Tipping the host, and the 1st thing I did was fuck up the mic stand!! but this brought a huge laugh as i tried to recover!! thankfully I was able to ride off that laugh and was in my stride quickly. My jokes were landing this time where they were not so much about an hour earlier. I took confidence and grew a little in stature during the performance. It was great fun and I could not be happier with the reaction as I got to my closer with 15 mins exactly on the clock, I was pleased but still a long way off my best, I had performed much better at Mr Bens new act final. there were 3 more acts following me, the next one straight after me was Graham Milton (i think) he flutted from general comedy to creepy audience interaction which worked nicely and there were big laughs for him. The final break was next before Jonathan Hipkiss took to the stage with his impersonation and voice comedy. He had a new bit which was lovely that involved a lot of facial expressions and was about the ages of boy to man. Masai Graham was last, a headline spot for a headline quality act and he delivered much like he did at Mr Bens. One liners do so well at these things and I could not deliver that many jokes which is why i waffle, the baby Due joke and Black country ones were the big hits with the joke rate meaning laughter was almost constant....  think we have seen our winner!! Jonathon told me that David Tandy was strong from the earlier acts as was Maggy Whitehouse and they were in with a chance but I was very much expecting Masai to win, so I was shocked to hear him announced as 3rd place!! really?? then 2nd place, I forget who tis was now but I remember feeling a little frustrated that I hadnt even placed, then the winner was announced.... and holy shit it was me.. I did not need to do false oscar night surprise, I was genuinely surprised... WTF I won?? so I get to headline at a festival?? that will look awesome on my CV!! galavanting off to Brum has paid off. So pleased with this. So much so I hugged all 4 judges (what a knob). I would have driven home buzzing but the M6 was closed and I wound up driving round in a big figure of 8 back to spaghetti junction 5 times!! Birmingham your roads are confusing enough without closing seemingly the only route home i have, and what the fuck is that roundabout thing at Walsall?? I nearly died the 1st 2 times I had to endure it!! Christ on a bike!!!

Next for me back to London town for more workshop comedy at the coffee house.

No comments:

Post a Comment