Monday 25 February 2013

Posh Doncaster Gig105


I feel like i'm bag on the gig momentum as took on my 3rd gig of the week, this like Tueasdays was for our mothers do ave em run by Matt Fong and was in the lovely Bawtry theatre in posh Doncaster (yeah its really true there is a posh part) There was to be myself doing the opening 15, Matt Fong 2nd then a break with the middle section containing Fran Garrity (or Frank Gravity if the facebook group is to be belived) Andrea Whittaker and Ross Brierley with Alex Boardman headlining and Nick Banks at the helm.
The short trip across Ross and opted for some version of deep conversation and discussed the possibility of the comedy bubble bursting just as we get any good at it amongst other things, Ross is a very self aware guy and also a good comic in the open mic arena. He knows when its going badly the reasons why and seldom blames anything but himself for that and this comes across when chatting en route to gigs with him.

We arrived in Bawtry to see what looked like a lovely little venue, and once inside confirmed it was as Matt was waiting in the doorway. He lead us through to the green room up above  the theatre stage where the north east contingent were sat waiting. They were all in good spirits and the atmosphere among the acts was nice. The gig started and Nick who is a strong MC was working hard to get the crowd going, he got into conversation with a guy called Claudio who we were to discover over the course of the evening was a tool!! It was not going to be a problem for me as he hadn't quite got into full tool mode at the point of my timeslot. I tried a new intro today, I was announced to the stage but left it 20 seconds before emerging clutching a Macdonalds bag.... I just got a cheeseburger for 99p... Yeah I wont do that again!! My set otherwise went ok, the new bits were a bit flat and too wordy as I clearly delivered them with no confidence but my tried and tested was going quite well including an applause break (sort of as when it gained momentum I began talking again.. div)
I was relatively happy with the set but I know I have been tighter and better so I say relatively happy but it is tinged with disappointment.
I missed Matt's set unfortunately however, heard he did something with a bottle that went really well... no idea what though!! sorry Matt.
2nd section was when Claudio upped his numpty level a notch, Fran was not really a victim of it as his sort of deadpan laid back style was nice and his jokes about fore exit and I hope you get better soon were lovely. I thought Fran was nic and solid with a quietish crowd. Andrea was more a victim of the Claudio show... it riles me that I have mentioned his name this many times, from now on he is just 'that tool'! Andrea was doing ok but she required a bit of audience input and 'that tool' thought he would try and make it all about him. By now Alex our headliner had arrived and 1st thing he picked up on was the behavior of our new common enemy who clearly was spoiling it for the others with his random heckles that made no sense. During Ross' set he blurted out nonsense 3 times but when Ross addressed it he acted like nothing had happened at all. it really took away from Ross' set which was being raved about by Alex, a nice compliment for Ross. So the middle section was by no fault of the acts a bit odd and a touch quiet. Nick got the audience to focus back on the comedy at the start of the headline section with his lovely Frank Spencer bit before Alex went out and spent the 1st 2 mins destroying 'that tool' much to the enjoyment of everybody else at the gig. This was a 30 min set of a pro and it showed we opens still have a bit of work to do, the subject matter was something I think we are all acheiving but the way it was delivered with technical ability and made exponentially funnier somehow was great to watch as with Sully earlier in the week. It was a great end to the gig that one numpty aside was lovely.

Next up workshop gig 6 and a trip to Birmngham again.

No comments:

Post a Comment